[Harp-L] The Artist Currently Known as Sonny Jr.

Last week I took my SJ Cruncher to get the larger "Super" transformer installed.  The transformer came with the amp as part of the deal when I bought it.  I took it  to Bill Webb, the guy I've gone to for years with vintage combos and tube PA heads.. He'd been on the road as amp tech with Eric Johnson but he's back now. Bill is very much THE amp guy in town and has been for years and years.

I phoned yesterday to see if the amp was ready and ended up having a very interesting conversation with Bill.  He says to me, "That's a Cruncher, right?"  I thought, "Wow, how does he know that?" It's not written on the amp anywhere.  Turns out Bill was amp tech to Charlie Musslewhite and Ben Harper and had some experience of the Super Cruncher used by Charlie. He started off telling me how reliable Charlie's amp was.  He'd never had to do anything to Charlie's amp other than a tube swap and replace a duff speaker. Working on mine was the first time he'd ever pulled the chassis on one and had a look inside. A couple of Bill's comments, all made in the most reverential of tones.

"This thing is beautiful. Every little component and value is there for a very specific reason." "This guy is an artist".  It was like I'd brought him the Mona Lisa.

When I mentioned Musslewhite's comment that SJs are the "Rolls Royce of harp amps," Bill replied. "I'd say that is certainly true."

When I went to pick up the amp I was talking to Steve Felton, the owner of Austin Vintage Guitars and Amps. He also was asking about the amp, at one point asking, "So how much did that cost? Around $2500?"  The conversation took a turn and I never did answer his question but that's what Gary really should be selling his amps for and I actually hope he does raise his prices so that he can start to actually earn something decent from his creations. If I remember Guy Clark's line correctly, "Poverty sets the poet free. Well I've had about as much freedon as I can stand."

Just thought Bill and Steve's comments might hold some interest for Harp-L readers.