[Harp-L] Re: Reed Changing Help

Hey Tom,
I designed some of the tools Seydel sells in there kit and they buy some of
them from me.  The tools are specifically designed for use on Seydel
harmonicas, although they will work on Hohner. You most likely went back
with the screw/post instead of the rivet. I don't have much luck with that
system or any system that uses a screw.  Alignment always becomes a problem
because you have to bore out the rivet pad hole in order to get the screw
in there.  When alignment is a problem, everything else is a pain, too.

I much prefer re-using rivets. I've noticed that in changing Hohner or any
brass reed from a donor plate that many times it goes way flat during the
transfer.  I've also noticed using donor brass reeds that usually folks
pull them from used harps and the reed in that slot is already on its way
out. The process of removing it finishing it off.

Make sure that the reed is perfectly aligned and floss the sides real
well.  If that doesn't work, get another reed.  I know there are a lot of
Hohner techs out there that can run circles around me. Just remember, they
have huge stacks of parts and if a reed doesn't work, they chunk it and get
another.

Tom writes:

I have selected a 5draw same key  to replace a 5draw broken reed. When I
came to check the reed it was way out of tune, even though it was fine on
the original plate. It was reading C # and not D  which a 5draw on an A
should be. I am completely confused and frustrated as to why this would be?
Could anyone shed any light on this issue and generally offer some advice
on using the seydel toolkit.
I'm replacing Marine Band reeds.

Thanks for any help

 Tom

*Greg Jones*
*16:23 Custom Harmonicas*
*(210) 445-6600*
Web Site:        1623customharmonicas.com

Seydel Repair:  http://1623customharmonicas.com/repair-services/