[Harp-L] harmonica sighting at symphony

 Saw Jeff Tyzik conduct the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Friday morning at Orchestra Hall in Detroit for a pops series featuring the Nat King Cole Songbook as sung by Denzal Sinclaire. The second half of the concert featured some non-Cole standards. Sinclaire also sang the tunes in the second half and played melodica on several tunes wyh the symphony.

I don't think I've seen the melodica played with a symphony orchestra much, if at all. The melodica (trade name of Hohners blown piano keyboard instrument. Sinclaire played the melodica with a windpipe extension holding the melodical in a piano position. My melodicas have a strap allowing the player to hold the instrument in-line (vertically) with the body.

   In the video below, the player holds the    melodica    like Sinclaire did.

Here's a youtube of Bohemian Rhapsody

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTWf122wHkw>;

ps

NO. This was NOT PLAYED at the DSO pops concert.

Helmar Hill on melodica with the Robert Bachner Big Band

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSBrP7ibO2k>;

 ==Phil