Re: [Harp-L] Diatonic Harp -- Draw 2 vs Blow 3

When playing in the style similar to Sonny's the three blow was of
paramount importance in how to play from your soul and not think, but feel which
was better air wise in any given passage or even chugging. For me and what I
try  and teach is to make the three blow exactly as the two draw, especially
using  the vibrato. Same speed, feel, to where it can be expressive and not
just a  passing note. Bill Clarke got a lot of feel in his three blows
which were used  when coming down from an all draw line, same as Sonny would do
but obviously  different styles. When you can't tell if it's a three blow or
two draw with  using vibrato, you're there. Many use a pitch changing
vibrato which makes it  nearly impossible to translate it to the three blow,
which was a vibrato I was  stuck on for many years. When I use what Sonny did
which was a more  diaphragmatic vibrato it works better. Personally I can't
think of what  will come next in my solo's or in chugging patterns so I have
to use that  three blow. Do I have it down perfect., not yet. Always working
on getting  better at it but a good topic. If you can listen to Sonny's
Spread this News  Around, he uses the three blow hit twice versus the two draw
so he can continue  with his air into the next passage; if using the two
draws you won't have the  air to make it happen. This is one of the keys to
Sonny's playing I will be  sharing at the seminar, more how he did things, and
why, versus using tabs. That  way you can listen and be able to play it using
the same technique and create  your own.
Sonny Jr.

In a message dated 2/4/2015 5:40:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,