[Harp-L] Toots the lifeguard

   Just finished jazz pianist George Shearing's autobiography, "Lullaby of
Birdland," a couple of weeks ago.  Found George's recollection of his
former guitarist, Toots Thielemans, kind of interesting:

    "Coming back to Toots, I think that if he hadn't been a musician, he'd
have become a mathematician.  He is also amazingly quick thinking, as a
musician and as a man.  We were staying at the Hollywood Hawaiian one time,
and out of the corner of his eye he caught sight of a little girl falling
into the swimming pool.  He had stripped off his shirt, dived in, and
fished her out, before any of us had any idea he was gone.  He's an
incredible on-the-spot Charlie when in comes to speed of thought and
action."

Mick Zaklan