Re: [Harp-L] Solder retune - practical limits?

The manufacturers have had almost 100 years of to empirically work out the optimum reed design.  A reed thicker at the base and heavier at the tip will be stiffer and less responsive and maybe a tiny bit louder once you get it going.

If two reeds of the same length vibrate at the same pitch and amplitude, the thicker one will have higher stresses in the metal. There are other factors involved but the thicker reed won’t necessarily last longer.

I would pick a new reed as close to the intended pitch as I could get.

Vern