[Harp-L] regarding Bogus Messages

Nobody has access to the harp-l subscriber list.  How this happens, odd
messages with Oprah etc cloaked links being sent to harp-l subscribers
with other harp-l subscribers on the cc list is the sender's e-mail
account has been compromised.  Once the account has been broken into the
account's address book is accessible to the invader.  From there it's a
simple matter to send the messages.

So don't click on the links in a message like this if you ever receive
one.  I personally as list owner get them fairly constantly.  The list is
also bombarded but we filter in various ways and generally speaking the
messages get held and never make it to the harp-l list.  When a subscribed
address does send a message like this to the harp-l list and it lands in
my held queue I delete the message and then set that subscriber's status
to moderated.  It's the path of least resistance, if I write I'm likely
exposing my account to more e-mails plus I don't think anyone has ever
actually written back when I've dropped them a line to say hey, your
account is compromised, you might want to change your password.

Luckily unlike Target, harp-l doesn't have air conditioning or cash
register systems so our vulnerability while not zero is still pretty low.
harp-l-listowner