[Harp-L] Vox Stomplab IG

author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)
Twitter: lightninrickThe Vox Stomplab IG is a full-blown multiFX device that includes amp modeling, dynamics processing, a rnage of FX, delay, and reverb, all in a two-button stompbox design that runs on 43 AA batteries and sells new for under $70.  I've had good experiences with Vox modeled amps, and I decided to give this box a try, especially because I'm not yet entirely satisfied with any of the battery-powered devices that I use for jam sessions and other situations where setup time is at a premium and AC isn't always conveniently located.

The IG arrived from Sweetwater Sound yesterday, and I have a few first impressions.  The form factor is very nice: smaller than a Digitech RP155, and very lightweight.  The overall design could be improved.  Yes, it runs on batteries, but to load the batteries you have to remove the rubber feet from the bottom of the device with a screwdriver.  Whatever happened to removable panels?  The device's layout and user interface is fiddly and a bit complicated; most of the controls serve two functions at least, and the functions are coded as 2-digit mnemonics on the display, which means that you either memorize what all those 2-digit codes mean, or keep the manual close by while programming.  The same issue applies to the RP155, but the RP can be programmed using Digitech's very good Xedit program; the Stomplab has no USB port, so you can't connect it to a computer for editing, saving, and loading patches.  in other words, programming this thing is more difficult than I'd prefer.

The programmable memory is also much less extensive than the RP155's: 20 user slots instead of 50.  However, keeping in mind that I bought the thing for use in jam sessions, where you usually only need a few good sounds at most, that may not be a problem.

I haven't plugged the thing in yet to hear how it sounds, but I'm generally expecting that it sounds good; certainly my Vox DA5 mini-amp sounded very good, and Brandon Bailey chose the much larger Vox VT-30 (which uses many of the same amp and FX models) for his stage rig, so Vox's electronics don't suck.  I'm kind of scratching my head over how I might sell patches for this device, given that there's no way to do an electronic patch transfer, and if I offer patches in written form, the user has to deal with that fiddly interface to get the device set up.

At a price point of $70, I guess one has to accept some significant limitations.  Anyway, I'll plug this thing in tonight and hear it in action.  Stay tuned for further commentary.

Regards, Richard Hunter