Re: [Harp-L] Sometimes ....

Richard, your note to which I responded was an odd cautionary tale about
the demise of the clarinet -- as you see it -- and your desire to save the
harmonica from the same fate by making it sound different.  Similarly, do
you think the clarinet would have been saved had an eager entrepreneur sold
methods to make it sound more like a,,,, what?  A guitar?  A sax?

I don't think the harmonica is in such dire need of saving that we need to
imitate other instruments.  It is a fine and noble instrument as it is.
The traditional tracks of harmonica music development have produced
enduring styles that continue to change and to draw new fans and players.
If the harmonica is not as common in popular music as, say, the trumpet I
am not particularly bothered by that and I don't feel the need to sound
more like something else.

I think the original theme of this thread is that sometimes we sound better
with no effects.  I agree.  It is my opinion that blues harp usually sounds
better with less effects rather than more.  Perhaps someday the state of
the art of emulation logic will rise to the point such that the effects
actually resemble the tone and response of the amps they purport to mimic.
 .We are not there yet.

I like some effects!  I have come full circle from zero effects to a big
complex pedal board and back again.  We all love a bit of delay, I think.
But I never feel that the sound of the harmonica is inadequate and needs
"fixing."

Just my opinion...

-Rick Davis