Re: [Harp-L] random contribution to the list regarding a note.

Jon,

That's a great observation. Sometimes I think we (players of this harmonica
thing) focus too much on a whole phrase or combination of notes in a line,
without listening to the musicality of the sound of each note. In musical
terms, we use words like legato, or staccato (musicians in Italy defined
them first, so yeah, we get to speak a little Italian, which ain't a bad
thing). While reading your comments, I was thinking of words like
"embouchure" and "articulation". Last night I was working out some tunes
with a fellow musician and he brought out a modal piece, somewhat in the
Celtic music vein. The notes I chose to make for that song switched to
longer, drawn out single tones, swelling the tone a bit (starting softer
and building pressure and tone towards the middle with a bit of vibrato
[there's that Italian again] at the end and letting the note trail off a
bit before the next one). Very different than the Blind Willie McTell tune
we did just before, where there was much more attack on many notes. Just
some of my thoughts...

Dave McCurry

--
David S McCurry, EdD