[Harp-L] Replaceable reeds - Harmonic Reed All American Design

Considering that the patents are expired, with companies now offering alternate, and in the case of at least Seydel, custom tunings, I'm surprised that nobody has ever considered putting the Harmonic Reed Co All-American harmonica design back into production. It's quite an ingenious design, rather elegant. Since that company was in business for a while, I'm guessing that the cost of production wasn't significantly more expensive than with conventional reed plates. Back then I'm sure there wasn't a market for alternate tunings, but their system of individual miniature reed plates for each reed that can be easily removed and replaced seems ideal for coming up with all sorts of alternate tunings without having to resort to dealing with rivets or tiny screws and nuts. Also, obviously, it would make replacing reeds that blow out much easier.

Has anyone on the list played one of these? How air tight are they? The patent drawings that I've seen indicate that the small, vertical, reedplates slide into bakelite slots in the equivalent to a comb. Since it's just a press fit, I wonder how air tight the design is. Of course, with modern materials, some kind of seal, perhaps out of Teflon, probably could be co-molded in place.

I'm going to show the patent drawings to the 3D printers that I'm working with to see if they can reproduce the housing and removable mouthpiece. It seems to me that using some kind of punch press or die cutting machine, conventional reedplates could probably be sliced up into individual components for each reed, assuming it can be done without distorting the plate.

Ronnie Schreiber
Harmonicaster.com