Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Tone Test

Thanks for the observations guys.

The actual playing order of the harps is:-

1. Hohner Golden Melody
2. Hohner Pro Harp
3. Hohner Marine Band 1896
4. Suzuki Harpmaster
5. Suzuki Promaster 350V

I have the same experience when playing my harps Dennis and enjoy the differences and that's why I was so puzzled listening to the playback. I never play my old Pro Harp these days and yet it sounded good on play back.

I thought I could hear differences in the tone of the Marine Band from the samples but if you played the samples back to me at random maybe not.

As you say Vern maybe we shouldn't expect to hear distinct differences given the basic construction of the harps with the reed plates being the major part of the sound production.

I remember hearing Christelle Berthon playing a cheap plastic toy harmonica on youtube and she made it sound good. I guess the main element of even this harp was still brass reeds set in brass reed plates.

This is my first thread and I'm not yet certain of the posting procedure. When I responded to someone by replying to their email it didn't appear on the list so then I forwarded a copy to harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx and all was ok (though the post took hours to appear). This post I sent direct to Harp-l with Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Tone Test as the subject so fingers crossed.