Re: [Harp-L] end to end reeds

While we're on the subject of reeds (I'd been considering dropping you a
line regarding this Vern, for a few days now)
What I want to know, is what is the critical clearance of the end of the
reed to the end of the slot, in producing a solid tone?
I want to shift the three reeds in hole 7 of a Suzuki Sub30.
I have done it successfully with two C harps, finding that the difference
in length of the three reeds was virtually negligible ( ie an A, a B and a
C reed)
However, when I tried to do the same to a D Sub 30, I ran into difficulties.
I now have a digital Vernier calliper, and find that the three reeds at
hole 7 on the D harp measure as follows: B, 14.04mm ; C#, 14.02mm ; D,
14.01mm.
I must admit, I've found it very difficult to measure the reeds, as the
least change in pressure changes the reading of the Vernier.
Same with measuring the slots too, thought that's a matter of getting the
tines of the calliper square in the slot, whereas I suspect the reeds are
flexing.
So how critical is .01 or .02 of a millimetre in terms of the length of the
reed fitting the slot?
I made the mistake of trying to lengthen the slot with a needle file last
time, I ruined an expensive harp (the files teeth were too coarse)
So I don't want to try again without some further info. I have varied reed
length by enlarging the hole for the screw, but it's a nightmare trying to
position the thing.
It's bad enough having to drill holes in Suzuki's confounded hole-less spot
welded reeds, and getting the thing in the right place.
I'd be most grateful for the opinions of anyone who cares to offer one!

If you want to know why I'm doing this, read on. If not, don't bother.

I have been fooling with Suzuki Sub30s lately (including some X-Reed
customs by messrs Power & Kovacs)
My object has been to convert the draw (and thus draw bend) of the hole 7
reed to a blow/blow-bend.
I have blow 1 and 4 bending down a tone, just like hole 10 always has. I
prefer it to the draw bend (as on first bend draw 3)
These harps have the last four blow reeds shifted down to the bottom
(traditionally the 'draw') plate, while the four 'active' or primary reeds
on the top plate
are draws.
On the first harp I converted, I removed the blow 7 from the inside of the
plate, reversed it, and, having drilled and tapped the opposite end of the
slot,
put it on the outside of the plate and retuned it to the tonic of the harp
(in this case, C) so that reeds 1-7 draw were exactly the same as a
conventional Richter.
I then retuned the two reeds on the opposite plate and reversed their
functions by changing their offset.
On the next harp, I realised I didn't have to retune the reeds, just rotate
the three clockwise, so that (on the C harp) the B reed went to the outside
of the lower plate, to become a draw, like a conventional harp,
the C reed went to the 'active' blow position on the upper plate, and the
'A' reed, previously the sympathetic or 'X reed' to enable the B to be bent
to Bb, came to serve the same role as 'sympathetic'
reed to the C, enabling it to be bent to Bb, just like on hole ten.
The two Cs I altered, using the two methods, work fine. The D is a failure,
as I don't seem to be able to save the mangled hole 7 slot in the lower
plate, despite embossing, adding 'metal' filler
(I'd try solder, but the blasted plates are some kind of aluminium alloy)