Re: [Harp-L] Screw posts, was Swappable Reeds

About 20 years ago I bought a Hard Bopper 12-hole chromatic from Richard Farrell that had screwed-on reeds using the 00-90 studs and nuts that you describe.  It cost about five times the price of the base harmonica and I doubt that Farrell who did the work himself was adequately compensated.  I have replaced one reed with stainless steel.  It seemed like a good idea at the time but it hasnât proved to be a huge boon to me.

If you lust for a harp with screwed-on reeds, Iâll sell it for what I paid for it 20 years ago, $400.

It doesnât solve the tricky problem of getting/keeping the reed centered while you are twisting the nut tight. The advantage of rivets for the manufacturer is that it takes about a second to install a reed and there is no twisting moment. The technique has been perfected over many years and the machines and skills for using it already exist.  The rivet costs a lot less than the screw and nut.  Spot-welding is quick and cheap but the cost of the welder is prohibitive for the player or technician.

 When I replace a reed, I solder it using about $200 worth of DIY equipment.  For more information, see http://youtu.be/DOBJCpZQ68Y?list=UUfvR2tj-A5YDFZDfuBvHWdA <http://youtu.be/DOBJCpZQ68Y?list=UUfvR2tj-A5YDFZDfuBvHWdA>
I posit that it would be a good process for one wishing to frequently change reeds. It requires no modification to the plate or reed. Replacing reeds wonât damage the hole.  Centering of the reed doesnât depend on the location of the hole in either the plate or the reed.  It is mechanically gentle with no twisting moments.

Vern