Re: [Harp-L] Swappable Reeds
- To: David Fairweather <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Swappable Reeds
- From: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 17:05:20 -0800
- Cc: Harp-L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=fea.net; s=briansetupdkservice; h=x-mailer:to:references:message-id:cc:date:in-reply-to:from :subject:mime-version:content-type; bh=rXK+287APc9qXksPuErYKaBPTTY0LaQIbkUI7Bl8cF8=; b=wUgG7PDf52uzL8UX8nsRzhSJq+/0Hz+y2tIhGG39Iury09OOxYYWiLFm76cOO9TSH o0AhrqsCSMa6L36lMxg4g==
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; q=dns; d=fea.net; s=briansetupdkservice; h=received:content-type:mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :cc:message-id:references:to:x-mailer; b=uDktb+vz3qQcqc8IdQUUURdSMRun5C0Upgk1t2rRcV/6GmLurJKabzjdEDc4xzE4f 0HgeiRIiB6c5msL+bU/wA==
- In-reply-to: <CAHZ5whZ+pznhbn15JUkFJQ-nKF8P8Nzy=7b4N=xK_SpkzgQrMQ@mail.gmail.com>
- References: <CAHZ5whZ+pznhbn15JUkFJQ-nKF8P8Nzy=7b4N=xK_SpkzgQrMQ@mail.gmail.com>
I donât know if it has ever been tried successfully, but assuming that it has not, I can answer your question "Why not?â
The machining to make sockets of the necessary precision to hold quickly-interchangeable reeds and the reeds to fit such sockets would be impossibly costly. Iâm assuming that you mean a system that would require no reed adjustment for centering in the slot or for pitch. Otherwise, you can use screwed-on reeds. Maybe you could slice up reed plates and interchange the pieces. Fastening them down and avoiding leakage would be a problem. Harmonicas are so very small.
The market for such a harp is too narrow to support the cost of the development, manufacturing, and marketing. In other words, how many are you gonna sellâ..more than the XB40? I know about narrow marketsâhow many play harmonicas?, of those how many play chromatics?, of those how many want to play chromatics on a holder? Those few remaining are the market for the Hands-Free-Chromatic. In your caseâ..how many play harmonicas?, of those how many use special tunings?, of those how many want quick-change tunings? My guess is very few.
> On Nov 15, 2014, at 3:34 PM, David Fairweather <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I seem to recall quite a few years ago, someone on harp-l claimed to be
> working on a diatonic where you could easily swap the reeds out to create
> custom tunings. I guess the reeds would snap or slide into place.
> Obviously that project never came to fruition, but I'm wondering, has it
> ever been done and why not?
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and