Re: [Harp-L] My first solo harmonica set

My guess would be that you weren't really playing the Ellington tune as much as you were following in the footsteps of Big Walter Horton and his version which works within the limitations of diatonic harmonica but wouldn't be what someone expecting the original version would be wanting to hear. Tough tune to play as a solo. It's difficult to play evenly and not rush. Walter's version swings, I'm not sure I'd personally be willing to go out on the that limb. Attempt that tune solo. I would not have chosen a Golden Melody because of the 12 ET tuning scheme. The RP360 GA40 patch sounded good as did the Bottle o' Blues microphone. I'd work on the feel of the playing and not being uneven and rushed. fjm

original post quoted below

Last Saturday Night, I devoted the final 20 minutes of a 2 hour guitar program to a solo harmonica set.

On âDonât Get Around Much Anymoreâ, I played a Golden Melody in D into a âBottle oâ Bluesâ Microphone through an RP 360 running Richard Hunterâs AWESOME GA40 patch, into the house PA.

I know I need to work on my intonation, vibrato and just getting around the instrument in general.

Please let me know what you think. Constructive and destructive criticism are both welcome!

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4QhPFEahSI&feature=youtu.be