Re: [Harp-L] clip on microphone

I have the longer HR3 for chromatics. I would guess that the HR2 and HR3 are the same electronically but with different packaging.

The mic is an electret (technically a condenser mic but not what you think of as a condenser mic).  It requires low-voltage âphantom powerâ to energize the fet that is built in.  That requires the 9V battery in the belt pack.  You can get the same thing electronically from Radio Shack for about $35 as a âTie-Clip Microphone  p/n33-3013.    You are essentially paying AMT $200 for the aluminum tube and clamps.  If you can make some sort of DIY enclosure and clamps, you can save some money.

The Radio Shack on/off switch pops and the switch on the HR3 does not.

The electret mic does not have any sound characteristics of its own.  Any audio effect has to be added electronically on the output.

The clamps on the HR3 are not very secure, so I made my own.  The clamps on the HR2 may be OK.

That said, I use the HR3 every week and am satisfied with its performance.

Have you investigated a STRNAD?  I think that they use a dynamic mic element, not an electret.  You can plug them right in to your amp.

Vern