[Harp-L] Propolene Glycol
- To: "Harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [Harp-L] Propolene Glycol
- From: David Fairweather <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 14:56:12 -0800
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=eLFFZlhL53wCXo+jjaZIXXDi2ADKXIdXa8lygilHLDE=; b=B2Om/vrcD1V9zDlXA0Q5FCnzyZWntZ7fuJuodWHTWIi3aqdYR/TVqy3ZxGxKAUv2HC dydX29wLn3790i2c6kOSOmYCGcXpQzzMDuqxzFeHA8pMXzBbeUs/KUrj+kamC38DQkyj /Msy9sWwxnyJ8sxzLZxyqVdwmHdvrdJ2YVlDCvWbEEQ6ZhgCziREtDHePgZKaxEe9dJw 8OqLyA5Bhj0KWrnSBMODyzrhC4QzrmF8z6dfcWEppJEFbZMvxoMFWux0MUvLozgNfPBh toh6Jfq3YL/90VInOz1XZX+2HRZ4F74+qQhvE4hT/sV2wnRcfAjQJVkmEA/8BVfZ2Dy6 mooA==
I've read countless posts here on harp-l about never using any kind of
lubricant on your chromatic slide mechanism. Maybe I have particularly
sticky saliva, but I've never been able to use any chromatic but a CX-12
without the slide sticking. I've used plain water or distilled water as a
temporary fix, but the slide begins sticking again for me within 5-10
minutes tops. I got so fed up that I decided to experiment. I got
some food-grade propolene glycol. I dipped a Q-tip in it and then pressed
out any excess so that the Q-tip was moist but not dripping. I then
applied a miniscule amount to the slide of a Seydel Deluxe. So miniscule
that I could barely even see a difference.
It worked! I was able to play for HOURS, not minutes, before I got even a
hint of sticking. The label on the propolene glycol bottle says that the
stuff is hydrophobic, so I'm wondering if that's helping keep my saliva
from sticking to the slide.
After more than two hours of playing, I did start to feel a tiny bit of
sticking so I put the harp away with no further tinkering or cleaning. I
know that without that propolene glycol, today my saliva would have dried
up and completely frozen up that slide. But I just tried it again, 24
hours later and the slide was still free with just that same tiny bit of
sticking it had when I put it away.
So far I've detected no adverse effects upon my reeds or valves. I'll
report back if I have any significant issues, but so far I have to consider
this experiment a success!
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and