[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 135, Issue 13

Hi Vern, Hi Joel,

No visible change to the reeds occur through using the type of domestic
ultrasonic cleaner sold for jewelry, etc. - neither in their shape nor in
their offset.  Normally, if a reed's curvature or offset is significantly
altered it will result in a lowering of pitch rather than a raising of
pitch.  And in the couple of years I've been using one of these cleaners
I've not noticed any decrease in the reeds' performance or durability.

As Vern pointed out, VSR is not considered effective for the relief of
stresses in heavy cold-rolled metals, nor for many alloys, both of which
harmonica reeds are.  Might this indicate that an ultrasonic bath would not
affect the necessary spring tension of the reeds introduced through
cold-rolling, but only the tension added later in working the reeds by
hand?

Furthermore, industrial VSR machines operate at low frequencies, generally
in a frequency band of 0 - 100 Hz <
http://www.stressreliefengr.com/stressreliefintroduction.html>, sweeping
through this range to identify, match and eliminate the problematic peaks
in the resonant frequencies of the workpiece.  Domestic ultrasonic cleaners
generally operate at between 30,000 - 40,000 Hz, well above the resonant
frequencies of any harmonica reed, so the comparison of an ultrasonic
bath's effect with that of an industrial VSR machine is perhaps limited.

Best regards,
Rick