Re: [Harp-L] Re. Limited Instrument

Just want to thank Brendan for his (as usual) excellent and down-to-earth post. Not to mention everything else he does!

His reference to Michael Brecker's use of an EWI is instructive as an example of what happens when a great artist meets up with a less limited instrument.  This is of course just a matter of opinion, but I say instructive because he's much better known (I think) for his work on the (more) old fashioned acoustic tenor sax. To me, the character he was able to express through that more limited instrument (compared to the EWI) spoke louder (figuratively speaking) and with more feeling, even though his EWI work was masterful and full of creativity (and very likable).

My point being that limitations are not necessarily a bad thing in an instrument. It's what you do with them, how you overcome them and find your voice on the axe that makes musical magic happen. That is why some of us are happy to continue to squeeze what we can out of our admittedly limited instruments. Those limitations can lead to interesting and soulful techniques that make up for what can't be done. Be it diatonic or chromatic, the harmonica limitations are more severe than many other instruments, and there is great beauty in making them sing despite that fact.

Not that I wouldn't upgrade from the traditional chromatic in a second if a real game-changer chromatic came along that I could relate to.

- Slim.

www.slidemanslim.com