[Harp-L] New Jelly Roll Johnson EP Review

Fellow Harmonicists¹,

Though I would pass on my thoughts about Jelly Roll Johnson¹s latest
recording ³The Land Of Dreams.²  For those of you who don¹t know, Jelly Roll
is originally from Louisiana. His musical thoughts and style drip with that
influence. This project is one that I suspect was something he wanted to do
for some time.

Like his previous release ³Come Rain Or Come Shine,² this is another EP
containing 7 cuts. If you have been to the French Quarter in New Orleans and
heard how the musicians approach songs, then you already know how this EP
sounds....it sounds real! The sonic quality of this project will make you
believe you are sitting in a club and hearing it happen. I think it really
captures the spirit of the music. I had the pleasure of Mastering this
project, and we worked hard to preserve what he and the other musicians
achieved.

Here is a rundown of the songs:

Basin Street Blues
Didn¹t He Ramble
Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans
Li¹l Liza Jane
St. James Infirmary
Tipitina
Louisiana

A few observations from my standpoint:

³Basin Street Blues² is a great way to open the EP. As usual Jelly sets the
stage with that big thick tone...love the way he phrases like a cross
between a trumpet and clarinet, all the while making sure it still sounds
like a HARMONICA.

³Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans.² This classic has always
been perfectly suited to the harmonica and Jelly turns in a wonderful
straight ahead performance on Chromatic. Pat Bergeson plays some really nice
acoustic guitar on this one....nothing fancy just correct.

Li¹l Liza Jane....this may be my favorite. This cut is nothing short of fun!
Jelly gives Pat Bergeson a chance to play some harmonica on this one as well
and the end of the cut is nothing short of big harmonica party. They both
also play some Bass harmonica on this cut. Fun fun fun!

³St. James Infirmary.²  This really sounds like ³Preservation Jazz Hall
Band² stuff.  John Jarvis turns in a great piano solo on this one.

³Louisiana² This is the last cut on the EP and Jelly¹s soul on this Randy
Newman epic is fantastic. OK I lied, this may be my favorite (also.)

Jelly Roll always delivers and this project is no exception. Makes me want
to go record again....yeah I know I been sayin¹ that for awhile!!!

Here is where you pick up this gem in either hard copy or download form:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jellyrolljohnson3

Enjoy.

PT Gazell
--