Re: [Harp-L] Seydel & Spiral Tuning

Positions always work the same way regardless of tuning.

If a harp is tuned to a major scale, then the harp is usually considered to be in the key of that scale.

When the key of the harmonica and the key of the music you're playing on it are the same, then you're in first position. Additional positions go clockwise around the circle of fifths.

The only exception is when a harp is tuned to an unaltered mode of the major scale but shows shows a clear intent to base the key around that mode. For instance, the natural minor tuning contains the minor I, IV, and V chord of the natural minor mode, clearly establishing the sixth degree of the major scale as the tonic note of the key. And this generates confusion; Hohner labels this tuning based on the fourth degree of the scale because that's the note in Blow 1, even though that actually would make it a Dorian tuned harp. Seydel and Lee Oskar get that one right, labeling it according to the tonic note of the natural minor scale (which happens to be Draw 2).

In the case of circular tuning, any of the seven chord roots of the major scale could be used as a tonic, but you have to choose one if you're going to label the harp with a key. The only logical choice, without being arbitrary, is the parent scale, i.e., the major scale.

Unfortunately, someone at Seydel doesn't get it and has chosen to label second position as first, just because the first note is the tonic note of second position.  By this logic, you have to play in 12th position to get first, and play in second position to get third.

Again, remember, this has nothing to do with which hole is Blow 1 or Draw 2. It based on which note starts the major scale (or the intended key in the case of natural minor tuning; though this could potentially apply to other modal tunings that show clear evidence of establishing a key center based on that mode).

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
President, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Producer, the Spring 2014 Harmonica Collective
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance