[Harp-L] harmonica or accordion?

   Most of the accordion fests appear to be held in Europe.  I notice San
Antonio runs one specializing in the "conjunto" style.  I still see a lot
of similarities between the instruments.  Sound-wise, the chromatic
harmonica is pretty close to the accordion.  I know that harmonica technicians
like Nelson Keaton have picked up tips from accordion repairmen.  I'm not
pushing for SPAH to add accordions; but if the organization ever got in
serious financial trouble, I still feel it could throw a successful fest or
fests combining forces with the accordion folks.  Especially with the
zydeco, jazz, and Irish players who might feel marginalized at a European
fest that leans toward classical or polka stuff.  We're always talking
about ways to expand attendance at the fest and attract new people.  This
is just another possibility. I suspect Hohner could use its contacts to
guarantee a bunch of accordion players show up to play America roots music
with their harmonica brethren and to catch an accordion headliner or two.
Just food for thought.  I don't know any accordion players, it's possible
they could have the same "snootiness" towards harmonica folk that the
chromatic players had toward the diatonic players in the early days of
SPAH.  Then it would be a disaster.  Again, just food for thought.
   Actually, I just tossed that idea out to help keep my post
semi-harmonica related.  I was more knocked out by the "accordina" playing
of Julien Labro.  Never saw this instrument before and thought it could
possibly be classified as a harmonica, rather than an accordion.

Mick Zaklan