Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: harmonica and sheet music... what about Bb horn music?

Me 4th or 5th, although I'm not a 'fella'. ;) But how 'I' do it since I'm
not a pro performer--is to buy play-along book/cd's (in various keys)  -
mostly by Hal Leonard and play along with the CD's. Many have the song (or
instrumental) repeated with the main instrument removed for you to  play with
the band as a backing track. Interestingly, the Hal Leonard  series allows
you to actually use them to record, with no copyright issues. The  book is
there IF I choose to follow along  - not all that important to me  since I'm
primarily a by-ear player although I enjoy using them for the piano  once in
a while and of course it's nice to have the real song lyrics.

Here's an example of one book I bought which wasn't Jazz (I don't  honestly
remember what key this is in and I did not buy it directly from the Hal
Leonard Corp as shown here but an EBay dealer who specializes in CD's and
music  books. This one's written for several instruments. I chose alto sax since
I find  that closest to the sound I'm looking for. If you've heard Michael
Peloquin  play sax and chromatic you'll understand. :) Flute books  are good
too.):

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=841447&promotion=445
&subsiteid=65&&viewtype=default

Most are listed like this at the top (for Bb, Eb and C instruments, but not
 all):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/books-sheet-music-media/hal-leonard-jazz-in-t
hree-eb-instruments--c-instruments--bb-instruments-book-and-cd-package

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/books-sheet-music-media/hal-leonard-jazz-blue
s--blues-play-along-volume-6-book-cd?pfm=sp

I'll also buy CD's of instrumental performances I like and play along with
them, many of which are done in Bb. At the very least both methods are
great ear training if you don't have other musicians to play with and neither
sounds 'canned' if you record yourself and play it back.

My own favourite other-keyed chromatic is A, but Bb is a close  second.

Elizabeth

Message: 1