Re: [Harp-L] History of harp tuning; Chrom Tuning

Adam,

Loved that Janko video!  I've flirted with chromatic accordions, just to
see the similarities between it and the Dimi.

Regarding the Dimi:

I have found that the Dimi (talking chrom for now) has more repeating
patterns than initially obvious on the surface, and therefore becomes
almost exponentially more "friendly" as you get into it.

For example, playing all Major scales on the Dimi, you would initially
think that there are three 7-note fingerings to learn, and that is true.

However, it's also true that all Major scales can be played with three
4-note fingerings.

Here's how:

Break the C Major scale into two Major tetrachords:

C D E F (starting on a blow note)

and

G A B C (starting on a blow-slide note)

There's two of our 4-note patterns.

==

Now break the G Major scale into two:

G A B C

and

D E F# G (this is our third 4-note pattern, starting on a draw note).

==

To make our third scale, a D Major scale, use the D Major tetrachord
starting on draw

D E F# G

and an A Maj tetrachord starting on blow

A B C# D (same fingering as the C Major Tetrachord).

And all keys repeat from there - All 12 scales using three 4-note
fingerings.

====

Similar things happen with other diatonic modes, such as Dorian and
Phrygian:

Dorian mode = two Dorian tetrachords = C D Eb F + G A Bb C (all 12 Dorian
modes can be played with three 4-note patterns)

Phrygian mode = two Phrygian tetrachords = C Db Eb F + G Ab Bb C (all 12
Phrygian modes can be played with three 4-note patterns)

===

Plenty more can come out of this, once you have those tetrachords:

Dorian TC + Major TC = Melodic Minor

Major TC + Dorian TC = Mixolydian

and many, many more...it goes on.

===

I don't necessarily agree that beginners would instantly take to a Dimi or
Aug tuning more naturally than solo or richter. After all, with the
traditional tunings, you can at least stay in one key area with little
knowledge. Dimi and Aug's layout will take you to foreign keys every few
notes, which can be confusing.

However, as I am trying to illustrate above, the further you get into the
Dimi, the more benefit you find.

All the best,

Jason Rogers

www.jasonharmonica.com