[Harp-L] Another two cents on Harmonica Tunings

Many great threads on this. My two cents worth follows.

I've been using alternate tunings for around 15 years. I was inspired by button accordion players, Brendan Power's "New Irish Harmonica", and above all, a burning desire to play bluegrass fiddle tunes as well as the best Australian players. Why? So I could join with them in the jams at Bluegrass Festivals.

In short, I was on a mission. I had a Eureka moment at the 1998 National Folk Festival, while watching the button accordion players. They were essentially playing hand operated harmonicas, without worrying about bends for particular notes. Why not try the same for real harmonicas?

The result was Major Cross tuning. The idea is to tune a harmonica so that second position plays major scale notes only. No bends, meaning that you can move MUCH faster. Seven notes are changed in all, the idea is closely related to the Lee Oskar Melody Maker tuning. The result has defined my style, you can hear it at http://www.harmonicatunes.com/retuned Along with more details on Major Cross.

I should add that I practiced my b#!@m off with Major Cross until I could play the tunes the way I wanted. This included a decade of weekly 3 hour busking sessions, with Band in a Box backings, cranked up as each year passed.

So. After a longish introduction (ahem), my two cents worth is:

- alternate tunings make sense when they ease the path to music which you deeply yearn to play
- nothing replaces standard Richter tuning. I always carry a set of high quality Richter harmonicas, they are my first choice in many situations
- the Major Cross harmonicas are truly excellent for tunes, and truly ordinary for blues
- alternate tunings (Major Cross in my case) fit specific purposes, standard Richter tuning fills the rest.

Hence I carry two sets of diatonics. Richter tuned and Major Cross.

PS the good bluegrass players now let me join in

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays