Re: [Harp-L] History of harp tuning

Hi Dan
The reason why I brought it up was not to be a wise guy. I have been using what some might call an altered tuning since the fall of 1959. So, that's almost 55 years.
Here's the deal. What happened is that I started on chromatic first. That was spring of 56. So I was already used to having all the notes..so to speak. When I came home from Paris, my old friends back here in the U.S. wanted me to join their doo-wop group. I was to be baritone/bass voice. And at times toss in some trumpet and harmonica.

I was mildly annoyed that no matter what I did, there was a note I couldn't get. It seemed that when I played a tune in one key, and we got to the bridge, I needed the 5th note draw to be a sharp. Seemed to be like that on almost everything I played. And didn't matter the key, as the 5th or 7th or whatever it was...wasn't there. I proceeded to retune ONE reed. The 5 draw. So that would make the harp altered..no?

In didn't do this to all my diatonics. Just a couple. Eventually I tried other things. Raising the 9 draw. Placing a wind saver on the 5 draw. Placing wind savers all over the place. Eventually I settled on only ONE wind saver. Having a bunch of them wasn't necessary for the stuff I was doing. Now the reason why I don't believe I was doing anything new is because the Egyptians were already shaving in 4241 bc, whereas most of the men during the civil war wore beards. 6,ooo years later. In other words, there isn't too much new under under the sun. Things have a way of coming around again. I ( personally ) believe that players have been modifying MOST instruments over the years.

In the case of harmonicas, these were called 'stage tunings'. Tunings to facilitate a certain function that couldn't otherwise be gotten. At least at THAT time period. Levy wasn't around yet, lolol. The great Don Les used to call these trick tunings. A term I consider less genteel. lolol. What developed was that instead of  (for example) using both a D crossed and an A straight to play Londonderry Aire (Oh Danny Boy), I was able to do the tune on only one harp. This is why I said that I am lazier than ...fill in a name... is lazy. Ha ha.

smo-joe