Re: [Harp-L] re:Richter+ tuning

Well, back in the 40s and 50s in New York, if you heard the word Paddy, you thought Irish. Strange to term a harmonica as Paddy anything when the thing is (originally?) from Austria. So, along comes this Paddy-Richter tuning, and it seems to work well on Celtic musics. That's good. That's good when that happens. Now I don't know when this tuning came about. But back in 1959 I returned home from Paris and wanted to play doo-wop. I was already playing chromatic but I felt that the diatonic was a better choice. IF I changed one of the reeds.

So I tuned the 5 draw up one sharp, and placed a wind saver on it. I was in business. I had come up with something new. So what. A week later I raised the 9 draw too. So what. I was  W A Y  before anyone. Or was I? No, I wasn't. People have been messing with tunings since coal was invented. Did I ever get any credit for my 'find'. No, but so what. The main thing is that we are all in this together, so just play like your heart tells yo to play. I feel my tuning IS superior to Richter. It opens a whole world of tunes that heretofore had required 2 or 3 separate diatonics, and can now be done on 1.

smokey-joe