Re: [Harp-L] Problem when playing harps not in C

Your first step is to quit playing by ear because you will be locked into playing the song in the first key you learned it in. And it will never sound "right" in any other key. You need to look at some notation or tab -- whatever works for you-- to break free of this trap.

THE EASY way to solve this problem is play your tunes as if they are in the key of C. All diatonic harmonicas have the same note pattern, so what works on the C harp will work on all major key harps.

This means you get one of those fake books that contains only songs in the key of C. Simply play a selected tune (whatever) on each of your harmonicas as if you are playing a C harmonica. Read the notes, don't listen to the sound,

Or get a collection of harmonica songs in harmonica tablature -- either off the web like <harptabs.com> or from a book -- and play the same song on different harps.

If you already have a collection of sheet music and want to convert a song into harp tab, look at the left side of that harptab page under tabruler and you can download a pdf file that tells you what holes to play for each note in all 12 keys and make your own tab.

hope this helps,
Phil