[Harp-L] Problem when playing harps not in C

in this case, ears trump the brain....you're over-thinking the process....so think less and just listen and it'll help.... think the sound you want to have come out , find it on the instrument....rinse, repeat....etc

On May 5, 2014, at 7:17 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've bought my first harp in a key other than C (I've got one in D), and a new problem has arisen when trying to play it. It seems I've learnt so well that, except for the highest octave, a C is a blow, a D a draw, an E a blow and so on, that I'm unable to play even the simplest tune using the harp in D, because I do it all the wrong way. I suppose I should be thinking of positions, or of intervals, or something like that, but I don't seem to be able to find a way to forget which note I am playing and its relationship with the harp in C.

jon kip
http://jonkip.com

player of music, mostly written by dead people and played on a toy that everybody's Uncle except my nephew's has the good sense to keep safely out of sight in a drawer.