[Harp-L] Bluegrass harmonica

IMO, Charlie McCoy is the ultimate bluegrass and country harmonica player - more recording sessions than any.  Beyond that, he played bass, organ and trumpet.  He did all of that on Bob Dylan's four albums cut in Nashville.  Besides that, he was the musical producer of HeeHaw - a silly show yes but musically incredible.  He even did blues, one album was a tribute to Little Walter, in that style.  He is my favorite player, period.  Lee Oskar is second for me - amazing versatility, groove and interpretations.

Jimmy McFadden hasn't been mentioned yet as a harmonic player.  He was the drummer for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, I think through-out their recording and touring existence, starting in the late sixties.  The Dirt Band hosted the infamous "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" that included so many of the old time bluegrass and country greats who were still alive when the album was recorded in 1972 or so.  Jimmy had a simple and tasteful groove as a drummer -- perfect for the band.  He could also play a fantastic bluegrass and country harmonica.  I also am both a drummer and harmonica player, doing the former since 1963 and the latter since 1969.  When both of us were on tour with our bands in 1971, we met in a hotel lobby in Lake Tahoe and talked about drums and harmonica for quite awhile.  It was wonderful to meet someone else with the same double passion.

To hear Jimmy play both drums and harmonica, check out the Circle album and the Dirt Band's many other albums.  You'll enjoy it.

Tom Richardson