Re: [Harp-L] Jimmy Fallon on the Harp

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM, george sanders <georgegsandman@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Jimmy Fallon Folsom Prison Blues

Fun and interesting for who it is, and where it took place.

I am working with a couple of new harp students (2-3 months) preparing for
an open mic and then a jam performance. I have them working to NOT sound
like this. Oy!

   1. don't play over ALL the vocal - take the spaces between the vocal
   lines
   2. make shorter phrases - statements
   3. leave some spaces in your solo

These come even before learning single notes, tonguing articulation, and
deeper bends.

I hear jammers every week who sound like Fallon. I can't help them unless
they ask.
(Maybe I should record and offer a mini-lesson on CD with 1-page chart to
convey these ideas. If kindly presented, would it be well received? "Here
are a couple of ideas you may enjoy trying out.")

Robert Hale
Spiral Advocate (Fanatic!)
Learn Harmonica by Webcam
Low Rates, High Success