[Harp-L] questions about kalamazoo model 1 and 2

hello. I have a couple of questions about the kalamazoo model 1 and model 2 amplifiers. those familiar with these great little amps know that there is a board or baffle about 3-4 inches wide that crosses the center of the speaker in the front. 1. does anybody know why this is placed there? (my guess is support) 2. can it be removed in order to not block the sound waves coming out and insure better microphone placement when miking the amp? thanks.............rb