Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 270 Brass Comb?

Hi Larry:

Thanks for that detailed response. Your harps sound really nice. I wish I
could check them out at Virginia--but unfortunately I'm going through a bit
of a  health issue at the moment which precludes me from attending. :(

The sole reason I mentioned 'control' was to do with a chromatic's button
so wouldn't have any bearing on a diatonic. A heavier chromatic doesn't seem
to  wobble in any way if one has to play one-handed or with minimal support
from my  left hand (as I've had to do frequently due to a  major shoulder
injury). I realize that might not make sense to  some--since logic would seem
to dictate playing a much lighter instrument--but  it's how it works for
me. Go figure. ;)

I STILL haven't played my gorgeous aluminum comb bought from Tom Halchak. I
 saved it to install on my single country-tuned Sp20 Smokey harp--which I
still  have to mail to Joe to put together for me. Was hoping to do all of
that at  Virginia. Ah well--best laid plans of mice and men, and all that.

Best, Elizabeth
...and have a great time in Virginia!

PS: I'm wondering if you clean your brass with my favourite MAAS polish
(rubbing down after with either Isopropyl alcohol or Anywhere hard surface
spray  and followed by a wet wipe)...if it might not help prevent this reaction
you're  having? Worth a try? Alternatively, could you seal the brass with
something  non-toxic?

"
Elizabeth, I assembled a  brass comb 10 hole using MB replacement
reedplates slightly tweaked and  flattened surrounded by Big River SS covers. It is
definitely my favorite F  harp. Plenty loud and very easy to play.

I also have three 364's with Chris' brass combs, which I  dearly love. I
don't know if they play louder but I feel the vibrations more, I  believe,
than with my wooden combs. Their heft is no problem with me but I do  not think
they yield better control.

I would love to use more brass but lately my  upper and lower lips feel
kinda weird and less sensitive after playing thru them  for just a few minutes.
Regretably I'm probably becoming allergic to  brass.

I do recommend you give brass a try, with  expectations you will love it.

Are you coming to Virginia  Harmonicafest this week? I'll have them  with
me.

Lockjaw Larry