Re: [Harp-L] opened up cover plates?

On Mar 23, 2014, at 1:33 PM, Mike Wilbur wrote:

> Hey Joe can't argue about " brighter " with open covers, you may be correct but that's
> More subjective observation.

I agree. Everyone has different tastes. No matter how slight the differences. That's what makes people fun.

> Surely cupping is muting but when you pop open the cup, louder volume and or brighter tone
> are both involved.

I once tried holding tin foil in my palms while cupping. Like using it on a hair comb, the sound was more..shall we say..at the risk of conjuring up the Vern police..metallically bright or penetrating. I heard and felt it, but not sure it would have been noticeable to others.

> My feeling is that cupped / un-cupped,    It's the contrast / change that is most important.

Sure is.

> Miles Davis may have a different opinion about muting .....:)

I always liked Clyde McCoy's muting on 'sugar blues'. Now THAT's muting taken to the extreme. Like a Joe Filisko.

smo-joe