Re: [Harp-L] Seydel Session Standard vs. Suzuki Bluesmaster?

The Harpmaster and Bluesmaster appear to be the same harp with different covers. I have some of each and they seem to play about the same.

However, I want to re-visit the Seydel part of the questions.

Beginning players tend to be sensitive to small differences that more experienced players may not even notice. One thing that sets Seydel apart from all others is their hole spacing.

I'm not talking about the size of the holes. I mean that the reeds are spaced farther apart on Seydels. (This is true of their chromatics, too.) The rest of the world seems to have followed Hohner's lead in spacing their reeds. By making the dividers thinner or thicker, they can make the holes bigger or smaller, but they're still the same distance apart.

So, do you stick with all Seydels for a consistent experience among your harps in different keys? Or do you mix things up so that you get used to a wider variety of hole spacings? It's your call, I'm just giving you a piece of information to consider.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
President, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Producer, the Spring 2014 Harmonica Collective
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance