Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harp hygiene

I'm one who believes in keeping really clean harmonicas but since I play
chromatics, they're not easily 'soaked', so I make sure to at the very least
wipe them down thoroughly with either Isopropyl Alcohol sometimes prefaced
by a  spritz of Anywhere Hard Surface Spray (made by Clorox). I also spray a
brush  head (soaked and sanitized mascara brushes I've accumulated with
this same  product)..and gently scour out every MP hole both with the button
depressed and  out then clean the brush and run it all around the mouthpiece
ridges (of  280's/Super 64's). The CX-12's are far easier to clean since the
shell can be  held under very warm running water and even cleaned inside and
out with  dishwashing detergent (and a dedicated toothbrush).

Nothing wrong with using a jewelry cleaner (adding the Anywhere spray to
the water) for diatonics. Most chromatics won't fit and/or will have the
valves  shakened loose.

A couple of times in the past I did renew a bad cold/cough by playing an
instrument I hadn't remembered to sterilize in between but when I went back
to  my usual regimen nothing similar has occurred. To me it's as logical as
washing  your hands as often as possible when you're remotely contagious.

Elizabeth

"Message: 11
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:13:31 -0400
From: Mike Wilbur  <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:  Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Harp L Harp L  <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I keep a bottle of Havana Club chilled in case  of Flight Attendants.

But I soak Harps in Boric Acid 5 mins than a warm  water rinse, cleans
brass of organic
Goo Gaws and leaves no after taste  ....

Mike Wilbur

On Mar 12, 2014, at 12:49 PM, Joseph Leone  <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> George does exactly what I do.  Before I did that I would just bring the
cold back on myself. I keep a spray  bottle of vodka hidden in the trunk
because of the stupid laws. Laws that don't  assume that you are an adult and
responsible. There was time when you could sip  a beer while towing your boat
to the lake to fish. That's all a thing of the  past.

> smo-joe
>
> On Mar 12, 2014, at 10:22 AM,  george sanders wrote:
>
>> Carry a small spray bottle of vodka,  spray the harps after use. Keep in
trunk well out of site, technically you have  an open container.