[Harp-L] re: Two harps

You may very well be right here. It so happens when my only live instance of doubling harps occurred the other guy went pretty clean. That went sown really well, as I recall it.

 However, when I overdub myself on Audacity -- playing unison or harmony -- and using a pretty dirty sound I think it works kinda all right.

  But of course, that´s not live (more like "dead").

cheers,
/Martin

>An unadorned harp, or a typically amped one, occupies a pretty specific
frequency range.  An amped harp tends to put >out a lot of energy in the 1 kHz-6 kHz range, which is a very powerful part of the frequency
spectrum for human ears; it's >where a lot of the energy in rock and roll comes from.  A lot of other stuff in a band, like the singer and
guitars, piles on in >that range too.  Put two harps together, and you
can easily overload the audience's ears, not to mention making it
difficult >for them to distinguish between what the two instruments are
doing.
(...)
>But
 two harps going through bullet mics into tube amps, the usual approach I
 hear for a multi-harp setup?  Too much of a >good thing.  Switch out one
 of those bullet setups for a pitch-shifted setup, or run one of the
harps straight to the PA; >either approach will sound much better to
everyone, and of course you can use both in a performance without much
fuss.

Thanks, Richard Hunter