Re: [Harp-L] explain positions to beginner

I keep waiting for one of the obvious answers (at least to me). Which is you can't explain positions to THIS beginner. Maybe in a few years. But not now.

I once had a student who kept complaining that I refused to explain cross harp (aka 2nd position)  to her. After describing it at least three different ways It dawned on me that she was never going to understand what I was talking  about, regardless of how I described it because she didn't have the background.

Part of this failure to understand  is probably related to reading  music and understanding music theory.

If you don't understand what a key is or a major scale, more advanced concepts may elude you.

Of course there are composers and performers who get along quite well without reading music. But for most of us mortals, we need all the help we can get -- and knowing a bit of notation (treble clef?) and a little theory -- might be the way.

Start with the basics.