Re: [Harp-L] explain positions to beginner

I can't answer in one sentence.

A harmonica is a group of notes.  Choose the notes that sound good in the
desired key and avoid the notes that do not.  Therefore since every
standard harmonica has all the notes on a keyboard for a 40 note range, you
can play in any key on any harp.

Tell him to stop thinking about the harmonica as in the key of C, but more
a harmonica named C, the reason being 1 blow is the note C.  That's the
ONLY connection to the key of C.

Teach him the notes on a keyboard.  Now say, since every note that is
played in the western scale is on the keyboard, explain you can play in any
key by choosing the notes that sound good and avoiding the ones that do not.

Now, let's say the lowest note on your keyboard is C.  Ask if he is
restricted to playing in the key of C or can play in any key he wants.

Now, block out the low C note with your hands.  Imagine if this keyboard
started on C#.  Could you still play in every key or are you restricted to
C#?  Then do D.

Explain that is all the name of a harp is, the starting note.  Any harp
plays in any key, and some keys are easy and cool sounding.
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com