Re: [Harp-L] 12th position

Hey Big Rob, trust me now and believe me later, but the reason I brought it up was because I am lazy. On that particular note, either note will work. The natural OR the flat. Like the tune "Walkin after midnight". I hear people play it and on the phrase:  "Cryin on my pillow", there is a note that most people hit as a natural. It is hit at :  in, my, & low. Then the note is hit another 3 times. Now most people don't notice it, but the Patsy Cline version has these notes 1/2 step up. Sooo, on a diatonic, the way I get them is to place a wind saver on the #5 draw reed. This allows me to bend the #5 blow reed DOWN.

This would be hard to do on a Richter tuned. And I play about 95.9% in second position. What I'm getting at in a roundabout way is that (as you know) every tune has one or two critical notes. And if you don't hit them, you loose the flavor of the tune. You don't on 'Peg' and you don't on 'Walkin', but on some you do. When I started playing doo-wop in 59, I found that I was now able to do tunes that heretofore required two harps, because of the bridges (like Londonderry Aire), now only required one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some kind of purist. Far from it.

As for you, you know that you are one of my favorite players. Lots of times at the supper club I will ask myself "How would the big Etruscan handle this tune?". And while spah has limited resources, and unable to provide backup for everyone, and usually re-cycles the same players fairly often, mainly because real pros can perform regardless, I have no problem listening to you, Madcat, Rich Hunter, and a few others all day. Last year Madcat  came within 150 miles of my home and I was tickled pink to go up and see/hear him.