Re: [Harp-L] Re: Digitech RP255???? Videos

<Here's the 'offending' video and another from the same set. To my ears,
<Jason's in fine form, given that it's likely being recorded through a hand
<held  camera or device which doesn't pick up sound from speakers all that well,
< especially outdoors(I've run into this many times).
<
<Jason Ricci with the Blue Rivieras;
<
<Scratch My Back
<
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1h5jSo0G-c

I think the sound of the harp on this tune is killer.  The rhythm of the lines is dead-on, and Jason uses the auto-wah to punch up the attack so  those rhythms jump right out at you.  Rockin'!  Nice to see Jason in such fine form.

And for everybody who's upset that he's not using the sound of 1950s Chicago on that piece: get over it.  What Jason's doing on that tune isn't an experiment; it's a fully-worked out, modern approach to the instrument.  The piece sounds great as is.  It might sound great with a more traditional sound too, but there's no need to apologize for using one great sound instead of another.  The world didn't stop in 1955, and guitar players have long since incorporated modern sounds into their toolkit. There's no good reason for harp players to be the only guys on the block who can't try anything new.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)
Twitter: lightninrick