[Harp-L] Re: {Harp-L] playing behind the beat

Music Cal wrote:

I am working more diligently on developing my rhythmic awareness. One of
the rhythmic abilities that I am presently trying to develop is playing
"behind the beat" - to give my phrasing a laid-back feeling. Anybody here
consider themselves in the good to great with respect to playing behind the
beat? If so, how do you suggest I develop this awareness, feel and ability?

David Liebman says Dexter Gordon is a master of playing behind the beat. So
I will definitely be listening to a lot more Dexter Gordon. Still, I am
wondering if anybody here has any suggestions to get this feel into my
musical toolbox.

Daniel, you might find this Ronnie Shellist video helpful. http://youtu.be/PGv3MYXzxus

Michelle