From: Michael Rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx>
To: George Miklas <harmonicat@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Jun 13, 2014 10:14 pm
Subject: Re: Gregorian Modes...was Re: [Harp-L] . "Take the A Train" Question (robert)

Thinking of positions as related to modes is very limiting imo.  A mode is
a scale.  The dorian mode is the same as any major scale except the 3rd and
the seventh note are each lowered one half step.  Therefore the C dorian
scale is C D Eb F G A Bb C.  It is certainly possible to play tthis scale
on a chromatic and it sounds great in certain types of minor music, major
and minor blues, and jazz during minor 7th chords, all in the key of C.
Playing this on a C chromatic is first position.

By limiting yourself to the ionian mode for first position, you miss out on
the wonders of the C dorian scale.  Any scale or mode can be played in any
key or position on any chromatic.

Instead, I recommend thinking of position as the key note compared to the
name of the harmonica as measured by the amount of clockwise turns on the
circle of fifths.  A C harp plays in first position in the key of C, 2nd in
G, 3rd in D, etc.
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com