Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Rhythm in a two piece

Once again, Michelle--you with your Engineer's brain breaking it down and
making something seemingly complicated look so amazingly simple.

Fabulous idea...I'm saving THIS one.:) Ta much!

Elizabeth

"Message: 1
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:43:10 -0600
From: Michelle  LeFree <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: _harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx)

Eddie, a popular musician in my area makes very simple and inexpensive
but very effective wooden stomp boxes. I made my own because Home Depot
cuts lumber that you buy there for you (I don't have the tools  myself).

It's a simple wooden box with a hole in one side to insert a  microphone.
It consists of 2 identically sized rectangular pieces of 1/4"  thick
plywood and 4 lengths of 2x2. Three of the 2x2s are the same dimension
as the edges of the plywood and one is cut 2" short so that when the
plywood is glued/nailed/screwed to the 2x2s there is a 2" gap to accept
your vocal (SM58, etc.) or instrument mic' (SM57, etc.). You end up with
a 2 1/2" tall rectangular box of the dimensions of the plywood you  choose.

The originator of this stomp box idea has a 3'x3' box (the  originator so
far as I am aware; it's so simple I'm sure the dude got the  idea
elsewhere but he makes and sells them to other musicians so he ain't
talkin'). I didn't want one that big and bulky so mine is 18"x24". I put
a drawer handle on one 2x2 side to make it easier to carry and some
plastic feet to raise it off the floor and allow the bottom side to be
more resonant, especially if the floor happens to be carpeted. All you
do is put the stomp box in front of where you sit/stand and insert the
live mic' into the access port. From there you can set the PA to your
desired tone and amplitude and you are ready to go. The box is
surprisingly tough. The guy stands on his 3x3' box, no problem. He's had
his for years. I sit when I play so that is why I didn't need as big a
box. I also put a finish in mine; his is "raw."

I think that this  simple all-wood stomp box may actually be more
flexible than the far more  expensive commercial ones. For example, the
amplitude of your "stomp"  depends on how hard you "kick" down on the top
surface of the box so the  dynamics are easily controlled. You can also
get different tones and  resonances by kicking the box in different
places. A kick in the center will  be of deeper tone than a similar kick
off to one side. You can fasten a  tambourine to your foot and get the
"jingle" with each stomp. And you can  use either or both feet to get
more complex rhythms.

If I used  effects boxes, I would think about making this box so that it
would have a  place for them. Maybe even put lid over them so that the
rig could be  carried to a gig and quickly set up/taken down. The
possibilities are  endless once you get to thinking. I thought of
fastening one of those  clip-on piezoelectric transducers on the inside
of the top piece of plywood  and a 1/4" jack in one of the 2x2s. But, for
me, the beauty of this box is  in its simplicity and resulting low cost.

Works for  me!

Thanks,

Michelle"