Re: [Harp-L] Stevie Wonder harmonica

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM, bob piscura <bpiscura@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stevie Wonder playing harp

CHROMATIC
I have read that some of Stevie's hits were recorded on chromatics with the
slide paddle reversed, so that the momentary touch of the slide lowered a
pitch half-step rather than raise it. The song would be recorded in C# (for
example) and any slide notes are half-step below. Makes a very flowing
grace note, like stride piano glancing off of the black keys. This works on
harps where the C plate (for example) is on top, and the C# plate below,
and the hole for the spring return is centered in the paddle. I haven't
tried it since the design went to alternate upper and lower (staggered).

Chromatic players on this list can probably tell you about choosing the key
on a chrome, so that slide notes are placed in a most beneficial and
decorative way within a melody.

SPIRAL
But the better news is that I just worked out For Once In My Life, and
Isn't She Lovely on SPIRAL!  Stevie's half-step phrasing is SO available on
spiral because of draw-bends. (There are some slide turns and grace notes
that just aren't replicated without the original equipment.) Works for
vocal lines AND for the harp solos! Recommended!

(Ya know, once you play spiral you'll never go back...well, MOSTLY)

Robert Hale
Spiral Advocate (Fanatic!)
Learn Harmonica by Webcam
http://www.youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL