Re: [Harp-L] no standards of harmonica accomplishment

Hi Bill

I myself also think Dylan hasn't helped much the harmonica. More people
playing, ok, but now how harmonica sounds?

I think you've nailed when you've said "Listeners do not have a similar
yardstick with harmonica, because there is no generally understood standard
of accomplishment.".

If Dylan is what people think how a harmonica must sound, then, that's it.
The "standard" is in people's mind. The same thing about Pavarotti and
Jagger. Everybody knows that Pavarotti's precision is way harder to get
than singing like Jagger. Ok, Jagger is 1 in 1 million because everybody
sings rock but there's only one in the right time and the right place to be
Mick Jagger. But what matters, when we talk about "the standard", is what
is inside people's minds.

That's why American Idol is the "standard" and not some obscure hyper
talented classical music hero.

Now, I'd like to say I think things are getting better, from what I've saw
in the last 20 years. Of course, we won't have another "golden age" of
harmonica anymore. But my feeling is that harp players today have way more
instruction and tecnique. And less excuses.

20 years ago, I had to struggle to find some few decent tapes to listen a
little harmonica and find people I could talk too. Today, everybody is in
youtube, there are tons of instructional material around for free. The
problem now is how to have my attention, my time.

Learners just start bending and getting the tone faster than ever. Harps
are evolving too (and they're also getting more expensive). At the same
time, the music industry is changing fast. People have a limit on the
information they can absorb, so there are just a few slots in their minds
to what is "hot" and way more competition in the musicians world.

It seems it's not changing because there's always new entrants, playing
like Dylan, but don't worry. In the long run, there will be always talented
people pushing the instrument limits. When you think everything is over,
someone like Cristelle and Ricci just shows up and we remember there will
be always new players doing amazing new things.

[]

Leo