Re: [Harp-L] Blue Devils

On Jun 7, 2014, at 12:00 PM, Dan Hazen wrote:

> I've read some history about the blues, but don't recall ever hearing the
> term "blue devils" except in connection to college sports. So I did a
> little googling and found this:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51s5KBDZ9Y
>
> I think harp would do a pretty good job of playing the clarinet (?) part in
> that song.

I agree. I used to play trumpet, but when I play at the supper club on Sunday night I use a chromatic or valved diatonic for clarinet parts when doing 'trad jazz' (aka dixieland).
I don't know of too many people playing trad on harmonica, but it is possible.

> I also liked the blurb about the band... particular the line, "after a
> series of misadventures in 1933, The Blue Devils found themselves stranded
> in Virginia, without instruments or money."  Gotta wonder what that "series
> of misadventures in 1933" exactly was!

The life if an itinerant musician is fraught with misadventures. lolol. And I would venture a guess that the depression had something to do with it.

smokey-joe