[Harp-L] all keys?

even if you aren't going to use all the keys that a tune can be played in (again, chromatic players, not the "I'll just use a differently keyed instrument" crowd) after you do work on a tune in all keys, you will then have a backlog of finger,brain and ear skills that will open up a larger pot of possibilities ..... so sure, you don't NEED to master all 12 keys, unless you want to have the keys you do use, be different....ie get out of a rut

hobby player, professional, retired professional.... just the same....more you put into it, the more you can get out of it....

there's a reason that all the Jazz Greats learned tunes in multiple keys..... it opens doors....and keeps us off The Street

and yes, it can take a week or so to fully learn a tune in all keys with improvising ......but the more you do it, the faster it'll work out.....

and sure, being retired really helps......truth be told, I never worked this hard back when I was making money Honestly as a studio woodwind player.... not ever. Never. But I never had this kind of fun....

and sure your mileage and available time and goals may differ.......

jk
On Jan 23, 2014, at 11:08 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Something to keep in mind: there is no such thing as One Stop Shopping when it comes to finding the right method and material. It usually requires a combination of several methods and materials. Playing music is much like deciding on a computer/programs. You start with the end result. What do you want to achieve? In most cases you don't need to master all 12 keys -- just the ones you will need if you are playing with a band. Guitars, learn the sharp keys. With horns in the band, learn the flat keys. Plus variations of these two

jon kip
http://jonkip.com

player of music, mostly written by dead people and played on a toy that everybody's Uncle except my nephew's has the good sense to keep safely out of sight in a drawer.