Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Progress

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Blowinharp . <kham27@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> get out of a rut

I do have some ideas, Kevin, things that work for me and my students.

   1. Listen often to other harp players, Those you feel are really
   "talkin' to ya." Especially horns, Sax and Trumpet phrasing. Fill your head
   with musical ideas.
   2. At a general level, enjoy the flow, the statements, the "sentences"
   as if they were vocal exhortations.
   3. At a detailed level, use a software or device that allows you to hear
   the lines at half speed at the same pitch. Take a SMALL group of notes to
   emulate.
   4. Much taste and expression can come through rhythmic choices. Again, a
   small group of notes, explored.
   5. People enjoy hearing something familiar and relatable, followed by a
   variation or excursion connected to, but just outside the familiar, finally
   returning to a strong re-statement of the opening line.
   6. Begin to play one of your "rut" lines. Do it SLOWLY. Three or four
   notes into it, change the next note. If you always follow with UP, change
   it to DOWN. Vice versa.
   7. Record whenever possible, home and club. Even ONE good listen will
   confirm your good stuff, and cue you to change other things.

I recognize that the trill on Draw 4 and 5 is a staple of the blues
tradition, but I will make it a point NOT to play that easy crutch, UNLESS
the tune clearly is a tribute to honor a famous historical player. Once in
the song. Once in the night of jamming.

I'm anxious to read what ideas are contributed by the fine players on this
list!

Robert Hale
Spiral Advocate (Fanatic!)
Learn Harmonica by Webcam